Friday, February 10, 2006

Reading Now

Someone asked me recently what books I was currently reading. I thought I would share it with you. As I draw near to the end of the series on the Ten Commandments (you can see a list of books I read for that series at Cyrene.org) I have been teaching on Wednesday Evenings at our church, I am taking up the subject of Worship. Here is a list of books I have recently read or am reading, perhaps you would be inclined to share some of yours:

Give Praise to God by Philip Ryken, Ligon Duncan, and Derek Thomas, eds. This is a festschrift in honor of the life of James Montgomery Boice. This is a wonderful exposition on worship.

How Shall We Worship? by Marva Dawn. Just about anything by Marva Dawn is worth reading, especially when it comes to worship.

Worship in Spirit and in Truth by John Frame. I read it when it was first published and since then have referred to it again and again.

People Get Ready! by Robert Darden. This is a book on the history of Black Gospel Music. A definite worthwhile read on the subject.

And Now Let's Move Into A Time of Nonsense by Nick Page. This is an insightful, humorous, and sometimes sarcastic critique of modern worship. Many interesting and valid points. The title says it all.

Cherry Log Sermons by Fred Craddock. Fred Craddock is pastor emeritus of Cherry Log Christian Church. He is the Professor Emeritus of Preaching and New Testament at Candler School of Theology and has long been considered one of the finest homileticians around. I first heard Craddock preach in a chapel service in Bible college.

Tour '72 by Michael D'Antonio. This book was bought for me by my daughter for Christmas. I am finally getting around to reading it and I must admit, it is pretty good. She enjoys seeing me read it. You know how that goes :-).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try reading With Reverence and Awe by Hart and Meuther. It's a wonderful book on Reformed worship.