Friday, July 07, 2006

Digging Driscoll from a Distance

I am not one who reads Christianity Today. I used to. But now it is too much like popular Christianity is today - weak, atheological, faddish, and feminized. Yet today I was directed (by Between Two Worlds) to an interview Christianity Today did online with Mark Driscoll entitled, Men Are From Mars Hill. I am really beginning to dig this Driscoll. I was very impressed with what he had to say in the interview and found myself resonating with most of his sentiments. A couple of weeks ago I received his book, Confessions of a Reformission Rev in the mail. It is in my next quorum of books to read. No, I am not becoming Emergent. I am only listening and learning. And right now I am really digging Driscoll from a distance. Check him out, if you have not already and let me know what you think.
Mark Driscoll is pastor of Mars Hill Church in Seattle, WA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anthony,

Not to spoil the book for you, but Driscoll has many emphasis's I'm sure you would say a hearty amen to. Reformed theology, expositional preaching, membership (and classes), church discipline, evangelism and an amazing passion and vision for the lost, which is a challenge to all of us.

My grandmother was a reformed Christian (God brought me to the reformed truths at 19), and my experience of reformed churches when I was young, was very serious older men in suits, politically right wing, with big books, in monocultural churches, which were very disengaged from the world. To those who have this experience, Driscoll is a breath of fresh air. He also takes the truths we love to people who we would not normally have contact with and into the wider church (which again thanks to yourself and others like Mark Dever), is thank God, happening more and more.

However the way he talks sometimes (and I work in prisons ), does make me cringe. I just hope this doesn't give some of our reformed brothers and sisters an excuse not to listen. Particularly those who would benefit from the challenge of his love for the lost.

Colin

ajcarter said...

Yeah Colin, I do agree. Actually, I began reading the book in earnest last night. I find it refreshing and engaging. I find myself resonating with many of his observations and desiring to see more of this ideas in action among black christians. Nevertheless, some of his writing also challenges my sensibilities and I know it would be too much for many. But I find myself fascinated with his passion and attentive to his thoughts. Thanks for dropping in.

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»