Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Cultures Clashing

Who said reformation was easy? Not me. Whether it is in our own personal theological journeys or in the church at large, serious theological and practical change comes with some constirnation. I have witnessed it and can say that it is not without its hurt feelings and misunderstood motives. Nevertheless, it is worth it. Reformation within the predominantly African-American Christian context is not any different. We can write books, hold conferences, and preach messages, but when it comes down to it, we must ask ourselves what difference will the recovered gospel make in the predominantly African-American context. What will it look like? How does a church let go of the cultural trappings and not lose its cultural soul? How do I affirm the biblically faithful Reformed theology, without having to become culturally like those who have historically held it? Can I still be black and reformed without it infringing upon my non-black brothers and sisters? What am I to do when the reformed culture (if there is one) clashes with my traditional black culture? These questions are not easily answered. Yet, they are relevant and unmistakable when seeking to do reform in an African-American context. And these are some of the questions that have sparked the discussion over at The Council of Reforming Churches. Our brother Eric Redmond has raised the issue. I am sure many other brothers and sisters will chime in. Go check it out.

No comments: