Monday, February 11, 2008

Bugging for Jesus

This evening during our family worship time we sang Be Thou My Vision (one of my favorites). After the song, my youngest daughter asked me what "be thou my vision" means. I told her that that was a good question. How do you explain to a normal six year old what the words "be thou my vision" means? I tried to explain to her that to have a vision is to have a goal, an ultimate objective and that Christ should be the goal and objective of every Christian. Of course, that did not register. Then suddenly I remembered that all of us have visions, even little children, even my daughter.

You see, last week she had a box of Gobstoppers, which I took her from her because she did not have a clean bill of health at her last visit to the dentist. Since then, everyday she has asked me when she can have those Gobstoppers back. She is quite diligent in this pursuit. She even reminds me when I forget that I took them. Well, tonight I reminded her that she has a vision. I told here that she has a vision for those Gobstoppers. Her desire and delight is to enjoy those Gobstoppers. Everyday she has designs on how she can get me to give her back those Gobstoppers. Those Gobstoppers is her vision. And Christians should desire God even more than you desire those Gobstoppers.

After I finished, I do believe a light went on because she said, "Oh, Christians should bug for Jesus even as I bug you for the Gobstoppers." I laughed and said "Yes, sweetheart, Christians should be bugging for Jesus."

Are you bugging God for more of Jesus? Or do you bug Him for Gobstoppers?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an excellent analogy! Praise God that she gets even a glimpse of what it means for God to be our all-consuming joy! I pray that one day she can sing even louder, "Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise/ Thou mine inheritance now and always!/ Thou and Thou only, first in my heart/ High King of heaven, my Treasure Thou art!"

Anonymous said...

Out of the mouth of babes... Great analogy.