Monday, January 09, 2006

On Being A Black Reformed Christian (Part 2)

Being Reformed. It means that I have a heritage that transcends my skin. It means that the grace of God has appeared to me according to the good pleasure of God. It means I see my God as sovereign, omnipotent, holy, and right. It means I see my sin for what it is, heinous and worthy of death. And it means I see my Savior as sufficient, immutable, and altogether good. It means that my heroes are not only men like Frederick Douglas and Booker T. Washington, and but they are also and to some degree even more so Martin Luther, and John Calvin. It means my legacy is seen from Lemuel Haynes to Langston Hughes. I have as much in common with Martin Luther as I do with Martin Luther King. John Bunyan and John Marrant, belong to me as much as do Abraham Kuyper and A. Philip Randolf. It means that I can look to J. Gresham Machen and listen to his ability to articulate the dangers of the sin of liberalism and yet question is inability to comprehend the dangers of the sin of racism. It means that I have solid, historical, and biblical grounds upon which to stand in this world, as I seek to be an instrument of God in spreading his righteousness, peace, justice, and joy throughout the world. It means that my ideology is informed by my theology, which is reformed, because what I am most of all is Christian. (to be continued)

No comments: