Friday, May 09, 2008

Books I'm Reading (or have recently read)

I have been reminded that I have not listed a current reading list lately. Actually my overall blogging has been slow because of my preoccupation with church and writing responsibilities. Yet, my continuing education continues. A couple of books that have recently contributed to that education are:

Questioning Evangelism: Engaging People's Heart the Way Jesus Did by Randy Newman. I really like Newman's approach. Admittedly, it is not for everyone because not everyone is as engaging as Newman. But for those who can be, this is an excellent resource.

For Us and Our Salvation: The Doctrine of Christ in the Early Church by Stephen Nichols. Nichols is one of my favorite writers. I tend to read all that I can by him.

Galatians by Philip Graham Ryken. Ryken is a good writer and preacher. With the New Life Conference quickly approaching, books on Galatians are at the top of my list. (BTW: Do all the pastors at Tenth Presbyterian Church have to use their middle name? Just wondering.)

Doctrine that Dances: Bring Doctrinal Preaching and Teaching to Life by Robert Smith. This is my casual reading. I am slowly but rewardingly making my way through this one.

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Lincoln once said, "How do you destroy an enemy? You make him your friend." Lincoln embodied this and it is what set him apart as a politician and a man. I love reading and learning about Lincoln.

4 comments:

DeeDub said...

Anthony,

Great book list and excellent model to follow; thanks for exposing that you're a broad reader.

Darryl

John said...

I'm currently re-reading your book and have mentioned it on my blog.

Lord willing I will write more on it later.

I will join Darryl in saying thanks for the great example that you set.

Joel Hamernick said...

i am wondering why you started the Lincoln book. I read it after hearing that Obama suggested that if allowed to take only 2 books to the white house that he would take the bible and this book.

I read it and enjoyed it immensely. I enjoyed it both as historically insightful and as a potential commentary on Obama's thought process. I'm not sure of course if that will prove to be true but interesting nonetheless. . .

ajcarter said...

Interesting. I was not aware of the comments by Obama. I read it because a friend recommended it to me last year and I like Doris Kearns Goodwin as a historian. Not only does she know her presidents but she knows a thing or two about baseball as well.