Friday, May 02, 2008

Doctrine that Dances

Here are a couple of good quotes from a book I am reading entitled Doctrine that Dances: Bringing Doctrinal Preaching and Teaching to Life. It is written by Dr. Robert Smith, professor of preaching at Beeson Divinity School (a couple of years ago I mentioned Dr. Smith here). The quotes are seeking to define what doctrinal preaching is:

As Jesus admonished that the Scriptures be searched because they testify of Him (John 5:39), preachers of Christian doctrine make Christ the heart of their preaching. If the Bible is read backwards, one will see that Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, was slain from the foundation of the world (Rev. 13:8). This means that in the mind of God, Calvary was a forethought and not an afterthought. God did not react to the fall of Adam and Eve, but rather He pre-acted before the the fall of Adam and Eve. The Old Testament proclaimed that Christ is coming. The New Testament announced that Christ has come and will come again (p. 23)
Doctrinal preaching must have an object. We cannot have faith in faith; we do not worship worship; and doctrine does not exist fro doctrine's sake. Doctrinal preaching carries out the mission of magnifying Jesus Christ (p. 25).

The book is so far so good. I am enjoying the read. You may want to consider the investment.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know if he's reformed. Also, I saw your name listed on another book on Lifeway's website, you got something new out that you didn't make mention of?

I still peak on these blog, cause my calvinistic friend Pastor Donald, and I would be interested in another book you offered.

Yall, might not remember me but my friend has been preaching the doctrines of grace to me one on one, and has almost persuaded me. But hit me with an email in case you don't answer publicly.


Ronde L.
ronde_love@yahoo.com

ajcarter said...

Hey Ronde,
No, I don't believe Dr. Smith is a committed reformed baptist. Though from time to time you can see that he has knowledge and even agrees with Reformed doctrine. Yet that is not uncommon since Reformed doctrines are biblical doctrines and whenever someone speaks rightly concerning Biblical doctrine, they are inevitably speaking Reformed doctrine :-).
As far as the new book is concerned, yes I do have another offering which is scheduled for release in July. I hope you will take the time to get a copy or two (one for yourself and one for Pastor Donald).

Great hearing from you. Even greater knowing that you are flowing with the doctrines of grace.

Glory and Grace
Tony