Thursday, April 20, 2006

Reading Now II

A couple of months ago I shared with you what I was reading then. I do believe it is time for another update. My reading usually centers around something I am either writing or preaching on at the time. I continue to read books on worship, though I am beginning to pick up a few others as well. The following are books I have recently read or am currently reading. Again, feel free to share a few of your recent favorite reads:

African-American Christian Worship by Melva Wilson Costen. Here is a historical and somewhat theology look at the roots of African-American Christian Worship. It is at times an insightful read, though it tends to be sympathetic to traditions that have proved more detrimental than helpful to the development of African-American Christianity.

With Reverence and Awe by D.G. Hart and John R. Muether. Here is a good book on the basics of historic Reformed worship. Written from a soundly presbyterian perspective, you are given good historical, confessional, and biblical arguments for the regulative principle in worship. This book has been quite helpful to me.

Uprooting Anger by Robert Jones. I am currently reading this book with a gentleman in our church. We have agreed to read it and get together frequently to discuss what challenges the book brings to us and the answers it offers in bringing this all too recurring sin into obedience to Christ. So far, I am inclined to highly recommend this book for everyone.

High Impact African-American Churches by George Barna and Harry Jackson. I have read it once, and for research purposes am reading it again. Besides the survey results the only real redeeming quality of this book is that it sets before us what biblical Christianity is not. If you don't have it, don't bother. If you do, don't tell anyone.

Black and Tan by Doug Wilson. I have just begun to make my way though this one. Doug Wilson is often interesting and provocative, though I find myself often on the opposite side of his interpretation of history. You may recall a few years ago that Doug and a friend published a controversial little book on Southern Slavery As It Was. In Black and Tan, Doug has cleaned up the contents of that little book and has included it in this present collection of essays on, as he calls it, Slavery, Culture War, and Scripture in America. I learn when I read Doug Wilson, even when I disagree.

The Baptism of Disciples Alone by Fred Malone. Here is the best argument for Reformed Baptist Covenantal Theology that I have read. Contrary to what many covenant theology advocates teach, according to Fred Malone, you don't have to be paedobaptistic in order to embrace covenant theology. Fred Malone is a former presbyterian pastor, turned baptist. He knows the arguments well, and those so inclined to read him will find many of his arguments and interpretations compelling.

Lastly, my son and I daily read Spurgeon's Morning and Evening. We read it separately and then throughout our day discuss what Spurgeon wrote and seek to understand God through it. He challenges me to stay on task with it and I challenge him. It has been quite rewarding.

No comments: