Thursday, August 24, 2006

Oh Ye of Little Faith...

The Pilgrim's Progress series continues as Christian and Hopeful are gracious brought to the Delectable Mountains and Christian shares with Hopeful the story of Little Faith. Little Faith is one of the most descriptive, challenging, and even encouraging characters in all of Bunyan's allegory. True, he is not the Champion that Great Grace is, or for that matter, Faithful. Yet, Little Faith is a testimony of my heart and how too often I find myself not confidently trusting in the sure promises of God to overcome my doubts and fears. Ken Ham in The All-in-One Curriculum for The Pilgrim's Progress writes:
Bunyan would have us to see that Little Faith is a true believer and not an apostate. He is a true Christian and a child of the King, but he has only a little faith. As far as his own heart is concerned, Little Faith struggles with doubt and assurance of salvation – life is assailed with anxiety and a guilty conscience. The pews of the church are filled with those of little faith. In fact, there is some of Little-Faith in most of us.
There is too much of Little-Faith in me. My prayer this day is that I would not think too lightly of my Savior, who is the beginning and ends of my faith. Spurgeon reminded me the other day:

You may look and study, and weigh, but Jesus is a greater Saviour than you think Him to be when your thoughts are at the greatest. My Lord is more ready to pardon than you to sin, more able to forgive than you to transgress. My Master is more willing to supply you wants than you are to confess them. Never tolerate low thoughts of my Lord Jesus.

I would have encouraged Little Faith to heed these words. I am encouraged this day to heed them. Hopefully you are too.

No comments: