Friday, September 29, 2006

For Whom the Bell Tolls

In his Meditation XVII, John Donne wrote the famous lines:
Perchance he for whom this bell tolls, may be so ill, as that he knows not it tolls for him; and perchance I may think myself so much better than I am, as that they who are about me...may have caused it to toll for me...and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

Donne's words immediately came to mind when I learned of my brother and friend, Sherard Burns' recent resignation from the preaching ministry at All Nations Christian Fellowship in Minneapolis, MN. Sherard has decided to address us all in an Open Letter of Confession. As you read it remember:

Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted. Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself. But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor. For each will have to bear his own load (Galatians 6:1-5).

I Love You, Brother.

4 comments:

jazztheo said...

my brother,

may the grace you have so often spread to other's be upon you and all whom you love.

jt

Scotty J. Williams said...

I wasn't able to read the letter because the site was down, but to Brother Sherard please know that my prayers are with you at learning this news of your resignation. I pray that you will be blessed and continue to experience God's grace.
Peace brother,
~Scotty

Anonymous said...

Brothers:

I have recently heard about Sherard's resignation from His church in Minneapolis...I shuttered to think how strong the desires of the flesh can be....I pray that the Lord will receive me thanks for keeping me from such a state of affairs....and may His grace abound to our brother - both in restorative for his family and his ministry - but for the humbling process that our king and gracious King is moving in His life....Man - we must be so careful...I am so afraid...Lord keep me close to you, and care for my brother!

Peter

MichaelJJ said...

Anthony,

Can you tell me how Sherard is doing? I just read this post tonight and was unaware of these events. I love this brother and I am grieved to hear of these events.

Regards,

Michael
mikejj1@earthlink.net