Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Grip of God's Grace

This week in Bible Study we examined the glorious doctrine of The Preservation of the Saints. Here are a few of the points we examined as we thought through the Bible's teaching that believers are secure in the glorious grip of God's securing grace. When thinking about the nature of our salvation, consider:

  1. The God of Salvation. Who is He that saves? Is salvation based in the Word of God? Will God go back on His word or forego His promises? Jonah 2:9; Jer. 31:3; 32:40; Isa. 43:3; Rom. 10:8-10; 2Cor. 1:20-22

  1. The Goal of Salvation. Why does God save us? What is the goal of salvation in this life? How are we to understand the term “eternal life?” Isa. 43:7; 45:25; John 3:16; 5:24; 6:47, 51.

  1. The Grip of Salvation. Do we hold on to God or is God holding on to us? In other words, “Who’s holding who?” Should I understand my salvation in my own hands or in the hands of God? Matt. 18:12-14; Jn. 6:39-40; Jn 10:27-30; Rom. 8:35-39.

  1. The Grace of Salvation. Can I out sin the mercy and grace of God? Does not the blood of Christ redeem me from all my sin? Rom. 5:17, 20-21; 8:31-34; 1Jn. 1:7.
We sang one of my favorite hymns, which sums up this beautiful doctrine so well:

A Debtor to Mercy Alone by Augustus Toplady

A debtor to mercy alone,
Of covenant mercy I sing;
Nor fear, with Thy righteousness on,
My person and offering to bring.
The terrors of law and of God
With me can have nothing to do;
My Savior's obedience and blood
Hide all my transgressions from view

The work which His goodness began,
The arm of His strength will complete;
His promise is yea and amen,
And never was forfeited yet.
Things future, nor things that are now,
Not all things below nor above
Can make Him His purpose forego,
Or sever my soul from His love.

My name from the palms of His hands
Eternity will not erase;
Impressed on His heart it remains
In marks of indelible grace.
Yes, I to the end shall endure,
As sure as the earnest is given
More happy, but not more secure,
The glorified spirits in heaven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AC,

You said:

"The Grace of Salvation. Can I out sin the mercy and grace of God? Does not the blood of Christ redeem me from all my sin? Rom. 5:17, 20-21; 8:31-34; 1Jn. 1:7."

I have been having a conversation with a brother for a few weeks on this. The doctrine of Justification and Regenration are at stake with this brother.

ajcarter said...

Isn't it interesting how so many times when we are discussing the various doctrines of the faith, we are brought back to justification by faith?