Friday, June 09, 2006

Power In The Pulpit

The 2006 Power In The Pulpit Conference, held at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, is available online. Drs. Robert Smith, Hershael York, and Al Mohler were this years lecturers. You may find of particular note, the messages by Robert Smith. When you listen to Balancing Our Theology in Preaching, get ready for a ride. He is a most dynamic preacher and professor of preaching at Beeson Divinity School (did I mention that he is African-American? Do I need to? :-). Though the setting is a semi-formal lecture format, Smith has no problem or inhibition of turning his points into preaching moments. You may not agree with all his points, but he has a way of making you want to listen to him, anyway. That, I believe, is a mark of a good preacher. When people say about the preacher, "I don't agree with him, but I am interested in hearing him again," You know that God has given him a gift. May it be used for His glory. I believe Smith understands this. By the way, did I mention that he is a "black" preacher? Do I need to?

No comments: