Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Pastor's Theologian

The combination of pastor/theologian is rare these days. Yeah, I know many fancy themselves in that mold. But a true theologian in the theologically astute category who is also a passionate and compassionate pastor is rare. Nevertheless, there are those who do fulfill this lofty office and we are all the more grateful for it. One such man is Dr. Sinclair Ferguson. I consider Sinclair Ferguson a friend, but even more I know him as a teacher, having sat in class under his brilliant handling of scripture and theological issues. Then we knew him as the Pastor's Professor/Theologian. Today, I am pleased to hear that he is going back to what I believe is his first love, the pastorate. For the last few years he has been a professor of theology at Westminster Theological Seminary in Dallas TX. Now apparently the Pastor's Theologian is going to be a pastor once again. Sinclair Ferguson to First Presbyterian Church, Columbia, SC is how the headline at Reformation 21 reads. Selfishly, I can't wait to be able to listen online weekly to sermons by Sinclair. I may even have to make a trip to Columbia every now and then.

No comments: