Monday, January 22, 2007

Ghostbuster?

Growing up in a rural African-American family, our lives were surrounded by myths and legends of the seen and unseen. I could tell you countless stories of the unexplained and unexplainable that have been past down through generations of my family. Most of the stories were merely folklore that provided interesting conversation for the young people as we listened attentively and fascinated by the stories of our elders (besides, in the woods of northern Michigan, there wasn't a lot of interesting things going on). I have long lost faith in most of the stories, though from time to time I past them along to my children in hopes of giving them a sense of our history and provide them with questions to ask their grandmother. Yet, there are a few of tales that continue to intrigue me because I can remember a few odd incidents occurring when I was present. Yet, apparently my family is not the only one who has tales of ghosts and the paranormal.

One of our favorite restaurants in the Atlanta area is The Green Manor. It is an old plantation house that has been turned into a restaurant that offers one of the finest buffets of southern cooking you will find anywhere. According to the good folks at The Green Manor, not only is there good food on the grounds, but there is also a rather friendly ghost residing there. Apparently some ghostbusters have been called in to search out for the apparition. All I know is that the next time I am at The Green Manor, I will let them know that I will take the the turkey, ham, dressing, sweet potatoes, and peach cobbler, but they hold the ghost.

No comments: